PHOENIX — As Arizona State University fans cheered on their Sun Devils in the football game against Weber State Thursday night, most expected lots of touchdowns and thus, lots of fireworks.
ASU has a tradition of launching fiery mortars after each score, much to the delight of the attendants. The pyrotechnics are a special favorite of the university’s student section, appropriately called the “Inferno.”
Although the No. 19 Sun Devils scored a total of 45 points against the unranked Wildcats, the stadium only saw fireworks three times throughout the entire game.
This is because of an agreement between the city of Phoenix, the Federal Aviation Administration and ASU that restricted the displays to after the national anthem, when the team rushed onto the field and after halftime.
Sky Harbor is used to accommodating ASU’s fireworks. For each home game, air traffic is usually moved to the north runway to keep low-flying planes away from the mortars. But the Thursday night game posed a unique challenge, according to a statement from the FAA.
“A long fireworks display, or fireworks going off after every score, would create significant delays because we would have to slow the flow of traffic into and out of Sky Harbor to shoe-horn all the planes onto the north airfield,” it read.
ASU has one more scheduled Thursday night home game against UCLA on Sept. 25.
“We have already begun working with the FAA to resolve this issue before our Pac-12 home opener against UCLA,” read the university’s statement.
Many are hoping ASU and the FAA can come to an agreement, so the next Thursday game can have the flair fans love.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns