PHOENIX — As Arizona State University fans cheered on their Sun Devils in the football game against Weber State Thursday night, most expected lots of touchdowns and thus, lots of fireworks.
ASU has a tradition of launching fiery mortars after each score, much to the delight of the attendants. The pyrotechnics are a special favorite of the university’s student section, appropriately called the “Inferno.”
Although the No. 19 Sun Devils scored a total of 45 points against the unranked Wildcats, the stadium only saw fireworks three times throughout the entire game.
This is because of an agreement between the city of Phoenix, the Federal Aviation Administration and ASU that restricted the displays to after the national anthem, when the team rushed onto the field and after halftime.
Sky Harbor is used to accommodating ASU’s fireworks. For each home game, air traffic is usually moved to the north runway to keep low-flying planes away from the mortars. But the Thursday night game posed a unique challenge, according to a statement from the FAA.
“A long fireworks display, or fireworks going off after every score, would create significant delays because we would have to slow the flow of traffic into and out of Sky Harbor to shoe-horn all the planes onto the north airfield,” it read.
ASU has one more scheduled Thursday night home game against UCLA on Sept. 25.
“We have already begun working with the FAA to resolve this issue before our Pac-12 home opener against UCLA,” read the university’s statement.
Many are hoping ASU and the FAA can come to an agreement, so the next Thursday game can have the flair fans love.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon