TEMPE, Ariz. — A local group is getting a partner and a big financial boost to help those in need.
Chicanos Por La Causa (CPLC) is getting a $125,000 grant from Neighborworks America, a nationwide group that teams with 250 organizations nationwide to provide affordable housing for low income families. CPLC helped more than 15,000 Arizonans with housing, counseling and other services last year.
Neighborworks America CEO Tom Chabolla is glad to have Chicanos Por La Causa as a partner to provide affordable housing in the Phoenix area.
“They have a proven track record of being able to deliver affordable housing to low-income families, to provide jobs and to create opportunities wherever they go,” Chabolla said.
CPLC CEO Edmundo Hidalgo said his group will use the money to help those in need to get housing.
“These are people who are living paycheck to paycheck, and people are still upside down on their mortgages,” Hidalgo said. “Others are trying to become homeowners, but they want to be able to prepare themselves to do that.”
Hidalgo said that Chicanos Por La Causa offers housing counseling to get people ready for home ownership.
One person who is excited about the grant is Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema. She said Chicanos Por La Causa has been helping Arizonans for over 20 years.
“When I first started my career as a young social worker in Sunnyslope, that’s when I met CPLC,” Sinema said. “They’ve been working with families of all kinds throughout the state for many, many years. They’ve been helping people find long-term opportunities for housing and stay in Arizona.”
For more information about Chicanos Por La Causa and its housing assistance, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food