TEMPE, Ariz. — A local group is getting a partner and a big financial boost to help those in need.
Chicanos Por La Causa (CPLC) is getting a $125,000 grant from Neighborworks America, a nationwide group that teams with 250 organizations nationwide to provide affordable housing for low income families. CPLC helped more than 15,000 Arizonans with housing, counseling and other services last year.
Neighborworks America CEO Tom Chabolla is glad to have Chicanos Por La Causa as a partner to provide affordable housing in the Phoenix area.
“They have a proven track record of being able to deliver affordable housing to low-income families, to provide jobs and to create opportunities wherever they go,” Chabolla said.
CPLC CEO Edmundo Hidalgo said his group will use the money to help those in need to get housing.
“These are people who are living paycheck to paycheck, and people are still upside down on their mortgages,” Hidalgo said. “Others are trying to become homeowners, but they want to be able to prepare themselves to do that.”
Hidalgo said that Chicanos Por La Causa offers housing counseling to get people ready for home ownership.
One person who is excited about the grant is Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema. She said Chicanos Por La Causa has been helping Arizonans for over 20 years.
“When I first started my career as a young social worker in Sunnyslope, that’s when I met CPLC,” Sinema said. “They’ve been working with families of all kinds throughout the state for many, many years. They’ve been helping people find long-term opportunities for housing and stay in Arizona.”
For more information about Chicanos Por La Causa and its housing assistance, click here.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development