TEMPE, Ariz. — A local group is getting a partner and a big financial boost to help those in need.
Chicanos Por La Causa (CPLC) is getting a $125,000 grant from Neighborworks America, a nationwide group that teams with 250 organizations nationwide to provide affordable housing for low income families. CPLC helped more than 15,000 Arizonans with housing, counseling and other services last year.
Neighborworks America CEO Tom Chabolla is glad to have Chicanos Por La Causa as a partner to provide affordable housing in the Phoenix area.
“They have a proven track record of being able to deliver affordable housing to low-income families, to provide jobs and to create opportunities wherever they go,” Chabolla said.
CPLC CEO Edmundo Hidalgo said his group will use the money to help those in need to get housing.
“These are people who are living paycheck to paycheck, and people are still upside down on their mortgages,” Hidalgo said. “Others are trying to become homeowners, but they want to be able to prepare themselves to do that.”
Hidalgo said that Chicanos Por La Causa offers housing counseling to get people ready for home ownership.
One person who is excited about the grant is Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema. She said Chicanos Por La Causa has been helping Arizonans for over 20 years.
“When I first started my career as a young social worker in Sunnyslope, that’s when I met CPLC,” Sinema said. “They’ve been working with families of all kinds throughout the state for many, many years. They’ve been helping people find long-term opportunities for housing and stay in Arizona.”
For more information about Chicanos Por La Causa and its housing assistance, click here.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck