PHOENIX — A Valley charity is getting a big financial boost.
Playworks, a nonprofit group that promotes fitness through play, has received a $100,000 legacy grant from the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee and United Healthcare.
Committee CEO Jay Parry explained why the group deserves the money.
“They will be doing a program in 18 schools,” Parry said. “They work on citizenship (and) how to resolve conflict, as well as being active and having a good, healthy eating program.”
The funding is part of a $2 million dollar community campaign for Super Bowl XLIX, in which five other organizations have already received similar $100,000 legacy grants.
Parry said another round of grants is still to come.
“Now we’ll begin to work on our second phase,” he added. “We’re accepting applications and will make those decisions (on who gets the money) later this year. We will be announcing them right around Super Bowl 49 in February.”
Applications for the grants are being accepted at www.AZSuperBowl.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.