PHOENIX — A Valley charity is getting a big financial boost.
Playworks, a nonprofit group that promotes fitness through play, has received a $100,000 legacy grant from the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee and United Healthcare.
Committee CEO Jay Parry explained why the group deserves the money.
“They will be doing a program in 18 schools,” Parry said. “They work on citizenship (and) how to resolve conflict, as well as being active and having a good, healthy eating program.”
The funding is part of a $2 million dollar community campaign for Super Bowl XLIX, in which five other organizations have already received similar $100,000 legacy grants.
Parry said another round of grants is still to come.
“Now we’ll begin to work on our second phase,” he added. “We’re accepting applications and will make those decisions (on who gets the money) later this year. We will be announcing them right around Super Bowl 49 in February.”
Applications for the grants are being accepted at www.AZSuperBowl.com.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy