PHOENIX — During the last few months of her term, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer plans to bring the Republican Party together.
The party had been split between multiple candidates leading up to Tuesday’s primary election. Brewer said her role is to now get everyone on the same page.
“You know, I’m a particular hit of the Republican Party, so it is a responsibility of mine to try to build a consensus,” Brewer said.
Brewer said even though members of the Republican Party do not see eye-to-eye with each other on all the issues, they need to stand together between now and the General Election.
“We all believe and agree with each other 80 percent of the time and we need to really strongly believe that and do that and get our people elected,” she added.
She said one of her final responsibilities is to help develop a platform for Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Ducey to run on.
“It’s the right thing to do,” Brewer explained. “It’s traditional and we have a strong platform that we want to follow to get our state and our country turned around.”
But make no mistake: Just because Brewer will be stepping down as governor doesn’t mean she will cease being vocal.
“[I won’t be] Jan Brewer the elected official,” she explained. “I can do or say what I really want to do at the appropriate times. That’s difficult when you’re governor, because you’re speaking for the state.”
The General Election will take place Nov. 4.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier