PHOENIX — During the last few months of her term, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer plans to bring the Republican Party together.
The party had been split between multiple candidates leading up to Tuesday’s primary election. Brewer said her role is to now get everyone on the same page.
“You know, I’m a particular hit of the Republican Party, so it is a responsibility of mine to try to build a consensus,” Brewer said.
Brewer said even though members of the Republican Party do not see eye-to-eye with each other on all the issues, they need to stand together between now and the General Election.
“We all believe and agree with each other 80 percent of the time and we need to really strongly believe that and do that and get our people elected,” she added.
She said one of her final responsibilities is to help develop a platform for Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Ducey to run on.
“It’s the right thing to do,” Brewer explained. “It’s traditional and we have a strong platform that we want to follow to get our state and our country turned around.”
But make no mistake: Just because Brewer will be stepping down as governor doesn’t mean she will cease being vocal.
“[I won’t be] Jan Brewer the elected official,” she explained. “I can do or say what I really want to do at the appropriate times. That’s difficult when you’re governor, because you’re speaking for the state.”
The General Election will take place Nov. 4.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes