PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area man who killed a Valley police officer was sentenced to death on Thursday.
Bryan Hulsey was found guilty July 28 in the 2007 murder of a Glendale police officer during a routine traffic stop.
“The jury’s decision to impose the death penalty against Bryan Hulsey is a just punishment for the senseless slaughter of a public servant,” Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said in a release.
Hulsey, 40, was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of Officer Anthony Holly, 24. Hulsey also was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder of another officer.
Hulsey was a passenger in the vehicle that had been pulled over for speeding and not having a license plate. Holly was there to serve as backup to another officer who made the traffic stop.
Hulsey exited the vehicle, said, “I’ve got something for you,” and fired two shots, one of which hit Holly, prosecutors said.
“The defendant’s aim was true,” Prosecutor Juan Martinez said. “One bullet was all it took to the face of Anthony Holly to kill him — Officer Anthony Holly, who was just doing his job.”
Hulsey’s lawyers denied he killed Holly and instead alleged that another officer who had pulled over the vehicle had panicked and unintentionally shot him.
“He cannot be convicted of murder because of that accident,” Hulsey’s attorney, Michael Reeves, said.
Prosecutors said there was no credible evidence that Holly was shot by the other officer and that the exhumation request was “wishful thinking” by defense lawyers who hope they may turn up something from the body.
Prosecutors said Hulsey was upset during the stop and complained that they were being pulled over for having a cracked windshield. Martinez said the three people in the vehicle, including Hulsey, had smoked methamphetamine the night before and the morning of the traffic stop and that Hulsey gave his methamphetamine to a backseat passenger once the vehicle was pulled over.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths