PHOENIX — The race for Arizona’s 1st Congressional District is finally over, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.
Informal results posted at the Secretary of State site showed Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin with a narrow lead over rancher Gary Kiehne with all precincts accounted for, but results don’t have to officially be released until Sept. 8.
“I want to thank my supporters for all of their hard work,” Kiehne said in a release. “This was a hard-fought and very close election that we fell just short of winning. But that doesn’t take away from how proud and grateful I am to my supporters for everything they did to help our campaign.”
The Springerville rancher and businessman was trailing Tobin by just 324 votes
out of nearly 52,000 cast when he conceded, but just one county, Coconino, had
a large number of ballots left to count in the race — and Tobin was winning
On Tuesday evening, Coconino County elections officials said they had completed
their count of the final 1,889 ballots, and Tobin’s statewide lead increased to
407. That’s well above the number needed to trigger a recount.
Tobin had held a lead of less than 500 votes in the week since voters went to
the polls. With Coconino and Yavapai counties finishing their vote counts
Tuesday, all ballots in the sprawling 11 county district were counted.
The race was called after Kiehne endorsed Tobin in November’s general election against Democratic incumbent Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick who took office last year.
“My top priority this fall is to see Republicans win here in Arizona, so I want to offer all of my support to our Republican nominee Andy Tobin and all of the other Republican nominees in the general election,” said Kiehne.
Tobin garnered nearly 36 percent of the vote to Kiehne’s 35 percent.
A third candidate, State Rep. Adam Kwasman, pulled in 29 percent of the votes. He has said he’ll support whoever becomes the Republican nominee.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.