PHOENIX — The race for Arizona’s 1st Congressional District is finally over, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.
Informal results posted at the Secretary of State site showed Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin with a narrow lead over rancher Gary Kiehne with all precincts accounted for, but results don’t have to officially be released until Sept. 8.
“I want to thank my supporters for all of their hard work,” Kiehne said in a release. “This was a hard-fought and very close election that we fell just short of winning. But that doesn’t take away from how proud and grateful I am to my supporters for everything they did to help our campaign.”
The Springerville rancher and businessman was trailing Tobin by just 324 votes
out of nearly 52,000 cast when he conceded, but just one county, Coconino, had
a large number of ballots left to count in the race — and Tobin was winning
On Tuesday evening, Coconino County elections officials said they had completed
their count of the final 1,889 ballots, and Tobin’s statewide lead increased to
407. That’s well above the number needed to trigger a recount.
Tobin had held a lead of less than 500 votes in the week since voters went to
the polls. With Coconino and Yavapai counties finishing their vote counts
Tuesday, all ballots in the sprawling 11 county district were counted.
The race was called after Kiehne endorsed Tobin in November’s general election against Democratic incumbent Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick who took office last year.
“My top priority this fall is to see Republicans win here in Arizona, so I want to offer all of my support to our Republican nominee Andy Tobin and all of the other Republican nominees in the general election,” said Kiehne.
Tobin garnered nearly 36 percent of the vote to Kiehne’s 35 percent.
A third candidate, State Rep. Adam Kwasman, pulled in 29 percent of the votes. He has said he’ll support whoever becomes the Republican nominee.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them