PHOENIX — A Phoenix woman who left her two children in a hot car while she
attended a job interview was given custody of her two sons Thursday.
Shanesha Taylor’s attorney, Benjamin Taylor, said she could be reunited with her children as soon as Thursday. The children are currently with Child Protective Services and she sees them on weekends.
“This (ruling) allows her to have her children in-house with her,” the attorney said, adding there still is a few details to work out in the case.
She faced a judge Wednesday in criminal proceedings related to the incident. She faced two counts of child abuse before the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office suspended prosecution so long as she met certain stipulations.
The 35-year-old single mother must meet certain conditions in order to have the
charges against her dismissed.
Taylor told the judge that she’s completed five of the 26 parenting classes required of her.
She also is establishing trust funds for the future education and child care
needs of her 2-year-old and 8-month-old sons.
Taylor was arrested March 20 after bystanders reported seeing her children
alone in her car in Scottsdale. Authorities say the temperature inside the car
was above 100 degrees. Firefighters on the scene said both children were sweating and the baby was swaddled in a blanket.
Taylor told investigators that she didn’t have anyone to watch her children while she was at a job interview. Her case attracted national attention with people rallying to her defense online to raise money for her case.
Taylor is still looking for work, according to her attorney.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food