PHOENIX — The majority of Arizonans who are planning to travel this Labor Day weekend will be taking road trips.
According to AAA, nearly 700,000 Arizonans are planning to head out of town for the weekend, including almost 600,000 of whom will be driving.
“Typically, road trips tend to be the most popular,” spokeswoman Stephanie Dembowski said. “In fact, we’re anticipating that 83 percent of Arizonans who say that they will travel are planning to drive.”
Gas prices are 13 cents higher than last Labor Day, but consumer confidence has also risen.
“That has led to more spending which is always good news for travel,” Dembowski said. “When people have more disposable income, they’re more likely to take trips over holiday weekends.”
The auto club predicted the most popular travel destination for the holiday will be California.
“California is probably the top one,” she said. “Mexico has still been popular this summer and then just across the state, people like to use these weekends to go someplace different.”
The good news? The Arizona Department of Transportation said Wednesday it had no scheduled freeway closures over the holiday weekend.
Instead of focusing on construction, ADOT said it plans to up Arizona Department of Public Safety patrols during busy travel times, specifically Friday and Monday afternoons. The safety campaign will target the stretch of Interstate 17 between Black Canyon City and Camp Verde, south of Flagstaff and Sedona.
The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety will spearhead a holiday DUI task force.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee