PHOENIX — The majority of Arizonans who are planning to travel this Labor Day weekend will be taking road trips.
According to AAA, nearly 700,000 Arizonans are planning to head out of town for the weekend, including almost 600,000 of whom will be driving.
“Typically, road trips tend to be the most popular,” spokeswoman Stephanie Dembowski said. “In fact, we’re anticipating that 83 percent of Arizonans who say that they will travel are planning to drive.”
Gas prices are 13 cents higher than last Labor Day, but consumer confidence has also risen.
“That has led to more spending which is always good news for travel,” Dembowski said. “When people have more disposable income, they’re more likely to take trips over holiday weekends.”
The auto club predicted the most popular travel destination for the holiday will be California.
“California is probably the top one,” she said. “Mexico has still been popular this summer and then just across the state, people like to use these weekends to go someplace different.”
The good news? The Arizona Department of Transportation said Wednesday it had no scheduled freeway closures over the holiday weekend.
Instead of focusing on construction, ADOT said it plans to up Arizona Department of Public Safety patrols during busy travel times, specifically Friday and Monday afternoons. The safety campaign will target the stretch of Interstate 17 between Black Canyon City and Camp Verde, south of Flagstaff and Sedona.
The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety will spearhead a holiday DUI task force.
KTAR’s Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development