PHOENIX — Investment banker Jeff DeWit beat out former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman in a dirty race for the Republican state treasurer spot in November’s general election.
The race between Hallman and DeWit turned nasty over the past few weeks. On Aug. 21, the two campaigns were arguing over a video, since pulled from YouTube, that purportedly showed Hallman placing signs in front of DeWit’s in Mesa. It is illegal to cover or deface a campaign sign in Arizona.
But Hallman, who would only speak as a representative of his campaign and not a candidate, said his campaign received an anonymous tip that a sign of his was blocking one belonging to DeWit. He said he went to the sign, took photos and removed it.
Simple, right? Not so, according to Hallman.
“Miraculously, apparently a volunteer of the DeWit campaign was there to videotape us removing the sign,” he said. “In an almost Nixonian dirty tricks effort, that campaign has now put up a video making it appear that Hugh Hallman and the campaign volunteer are erecting the sign.”
Calling the supposed tactic “despicable,” Hallman said someone is moving his signs without his consent.
In an online statement, DeWit said he feels Hallman not only owes him an apology, but is unfit for office.
Each day of this campaign I am more and more amazed by the depths to which Hugh Hallman will sink. I understand that based on the polls, Mr. Hallman is desperate and seems willing to try and say anything. But his eagerness to go outside of the rules, run ads and send mass emails with untrue information should give all voters good reason to ensure that he is not elected. The Republican Party has endured enough negativity this year, I sincerely hope Mr. Hallman will heed the call of our Chairman Robert Graham and begin campaigning “on issues and vision, rather than personal attacks.”
In case you’re wondering, candidates do get in trouble for messing with signs. Another Republican, Rep. Bob Robson, was cited by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office for removing a campaign sign in Chandler.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon