PHOENIX — It’s been a rough season on the field for the Arizona Diamondbacks, but for some patients at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, they may as well be World Series contenders.
Outfielders David Peralta and Ender Inciarte, along with pitcher Chase Anderson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch, spent part of their Tuesday morning making room-to-room visits and interacting with kids in the hospital’s Child Life Zone.
Peralta, one of the bright spots for the D-backs this season, spent several minutes playing air hockey with Owen Densmore, who’s expected to spend several weeks in the hospital with a serious knee condition.
“(Owen) thought that was pretty awesome,” said Owen’s mom, Dawn, adding Peralta is her son’s favorite D-back. “We’ve been here a while so it’s a much needed break.”
Peralta knows how uplifting it can be for kids to meet a Major Leaguer.
“It means a lot for them. When I was a kid I remember meeting big league players and thinking, ‘Whoa, I want to be like them!’ So it makes me feel really good.”
Anderson, another D-back rookie enjoying a decent season, said he feels some of these kids’ pain after spending two weeks in the hospital as a young boy.
“I had pneumonia when I was 5 years old, so I know how it is to be in the hospital,” he said. “It’s not fun. You just want to make the kids smile, and do anything you can to make their day.”
Both Peralta and Anderson noted that community events help put some perspective on the importance of wins and losses on the diamond.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development