PHOENIX — It’s been a rough season on the field for the Arizona Diamondbacks, but for some patients at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, they may as well be World Series contenders.
Outfielders David Peralta and Ender Inciarte, along with pitcher Chase Anderson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch, spent part of their Tuesday morning making room-to-room visits and interacting with kids in the hospital’s Child Life Zone.
Peralta, one of the bright spots for the D-backs this season, spent several minutes playing air hockey with Owen Densmore, who’s expected to spend several weeks in the hospital with a serious knee condition.
“(Owen) thought that was pretty awesome,” said Owen’s mom, Dawn, adding Peralta is her son’s favorite D-back. “We’ve been here a while so it’s a much needed break.”
Peralta knows how uplifting it can be for kids to meet a Major Leaguer.
“It means a lot for them. When I was a kid I remember meeting big league players and thinking, ‘Whoa, I want to be like them!’ So it makes me feel really good.”
Anderson, another D-back rookie enjoying a decent season, said he feels some of these kids’ pain after spending two weeks in the hospital as a young boy.
“I had pneumonia when I was 5 years old, so I know how it is to be in the hospital,” he said. “It’s not fun. You just want to make the kids smile, and do anything you can to make their day.”
Both Peralta and Anderson noted that community events help put some perspective on the importance of wins and losses on the diamond.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier