PHOENIX — It’s been a rough season on the field for the Arizona Diamondbacks, but for some patients at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, they may as well be World Series contenders.
Outfielders David Peralta and Ender Inciarte, along with pitcher Chase Anderson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch, spent part of their Tuesday morning making room-to-room visits and interacting with kids in the hospital’s Child Life Zone.
Peralta, one of the bright spots for the D-backs this season, spent several minutes playing air hockey with Owen Densmore, who’s expected to spend several weeks in the hospital with a serious knee condition.
“(Owen) thought that was pretty awesome,” said Owen’s mom, Dawn, adding Peralta is her son’s favorite D-back. “We’ve been here a while so it’s a much needed break.”
Peralta knows how uplifting it can be for kids to meet a Major Leaguer.
“It means a lot for them. When I was a kid I remember meeting big league players and thinking, ‘Whoa, I want to be like them!’ So it makes me feel really good.”
Anderson, another D-back rookie enjoying a decent season, said he feels some of these kids’ pain after spending two weeks in the hospital as a young boy.
“I had pneumonia when I was 5 years old, so I know how it is to be in the hospital,” he said. “It’s not fun. You just want to make the kids smile, and do anything you can to make their day.”
Both Peralta and Anderson noted that community events help put some perspective on the importance of wins and losses on the diamond.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food