GLENDALE — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer cast her primary election ballot Tuesday morning.
After voting at the Hope Chapel near 63rd Avenue and Bell Road, she said it was the first time in her 32 years in public office that her name was not on the ballot.
Brewer has been running for office since 1982. In that year, Bryant Gumbel became co-host of “Today,” Joe Montana led the San Francisco 49ers to the Super Bowl and Sally Ride was named the first female astronaut.
Now, the outgoing governor is Jan Public.
“It was interesting to go in there and pick and choose without automatically voting for myself,” she said. “I have no regrets. I believe I served the state of Arizona well, and I look forward to the new challenges.”
Before her time as governor, Brewer was a county supervisor, a state lawmaker and Secretary of State. What’s more, she never lost an election in her entire political career.
She said she’s looking forward to having her own voice back.
“[I won’t be] Jan Brewer the elected official,” she explained. “I can do or say what I really want to do at the appropriate times. That’s difficult when you’re governor, because you’re speaking for the state.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona