GLENDALE — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer cast her primary election ballot Tuesday morning.
After voting at the Hope Chapel near 63rd Avenue and Bell Road, she said it was the first time in her 32 years in public office that her name was not on the ballot.
Brewer has been running for office since 1982. In that year, Bryant Gumbel became co-host of “Today,” Joe Montana led the San Francisco 49ers to the Super Bowl and Sally Ride was named the first female astronaut.
Now, the outgoing governor is Jan Public.
“It was interesting to go in there and pick and choose without automatically voting for myself,” she said. “I have no regrets. I believe I served the state of Arizona well, and I look forward to the new challenges.”
Before her time as governor, Brewer was a county supervisor, a state lawmaker and Secretary of State. What’s more, she never lost an election in her entire political career.
She said she’s looking forward to having her own voice back.
“[I won’t be] Jan Brewer the elected official,” she explained. “I can do or say what I really want to do at the appropriate times. That’s difficult when you’re governor, because you’re speaking for the state.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them