PHOENIX — Tempe voters made a landmark decision Tuesday for both the city’s veteran and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Tempe became the first city in Arizona to include sexual orientation as a protected class from workplace discrimination in its charter.
“We’re the city on the hill in some ways,” Tempe City Councilman Kolby Granville said. “We’re the city that I think others are going to look to, not just in Arizona, but in the rest of the United States.”
When Proposition 475 passed Tuesday, the city of Tempe made a historic change to its charter, according to Granville.
“[That would] change the constitution to include LGBT to the usual list of things you can’t discriminate against, as it relates to employees,” Granville said.
The proposition also added veteran status to the list of protected classes. Granville said the amendment has been a longtime coming for many gay, lesbian and transgender residents of Tempe.
“I think we’re the right city for it, and I think this is the right time for it,” he said.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl