PHOENIX — Tempe voters made a landmark decision Tuesday for both the city’s veteran and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Tempe became the first city in Arizona to include sexual orientation as a protected class from workplace discrimination in its charter.
“We’re the city on the hill in some ways,” Tempe City Councilman Kolby Granville said. “We’re the city that I think others are going to look to, not just in Arizona, but in the rest of the United States.”
When Proposition 475 passed Tuesday, the city of Tempe made a historic change to its charter, according to Granville.
“[That would] change the constitution to include LGBT to the usual list of things you can’t discriminate against, as it relates to employees,” Granville said.
The proposition also added veteran status to the list of protected classes. Granville said the amendment has been a longtime coming for many gay, lesbian and transgender residents of Tempe.
“I think we’re the right city for it, and I think this is the right time for it,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food