PHOENIX — Tempe voters made a landmark decision Tuesday for both the city’s veteran and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Tempe became the first city in Arizona to include sexual orientation as a protected class from workplace discrimination in its charter.
“We’re the city on the hill in some ways,” Tempe City Councilman Kolby Granville said. “We’re the city that I think others are going to look to, not just in Arizona, but in the rest of the United States.”
When Proposition 475 passed Tuesday, the city of Tempe made a historic change to its charter, according to Granville.
“[That would] change the constitution to include LGBT to the usual list of things you can’t discriminate against, as it relates to employees,” Granville said.
The proposition also added veteran status to the list of protected classes. Granville said the amendment has been a longtime coming for many gay, lesbian and transgender residents of Tempe.
“I think we’re the right city for it, and I think this is the right time for it,” he said.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof