PHOENIX — Are you still trying to figure out who to vote for?
The Arizona primary is Tuesday and some may be undecided on which candidate they will be backing. While multiple races will be determined, most are keeping an eye on the tight contest for the Republican gubernatorial slot.
While the race is by no means decided, Arizona Treasurer Doug Ducey and former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith are believed to be the front-runners, with dark horse candidate Christine Jones possibly making a late run.
“It is absolutely a two-person race between Scott Smith and Doug Ducey,” said Republican political consultant Bert Coleman last week. “I would have to guess that Doug Ducey is probably a few points ahead at this point.”
The winner of the primary will run on the GOP ticket against Democrat Fred DuVal, who is unopposed in the primary.
Many of the candidates were still hitting the campaign trail hard on Monday, but we figured we’d make things easy for you.
During the run-up to the primary, we asked the candidates where they stood on issues via Twitter. We called it Tweet the Vote. We figured we would make it easier on those who are still up in the air — here’s looking at you, Independents — about who they want to back in the GOP primary.
Keep in mind, all these responses were taken from Twitter and may not be grammatically correct.
|How would you fight illegal immigration?||No budget busting here. Looking at expanding RICO funds, raising fines for felons & privatizing the lottery. #KTARtweetthevote||I’ve laid a out a clear, realistic plan to fix our immig. system that I’ll work to implement as Gov: http://bit.ly/1wWAZ6D||You don’t. Immigration is federal policy. You secure the border. See http://thejonesplan.com for how. #KTARtweetthevote #azgov|
|How would you create high-paying jobs?||We’ll start by getting gov’t out of the way — simpler, lower taxes & eliminating unnecessary regulation. #KTARtweetthevote||Focus state on impl. of strategic, forward-thinking economic dev. plan based on AZ’s industry & regional strengths. #HEAT||Get govt out of the way of private sector, keep taxes low & provide a friendly reg. environment, recruit #biz from out of state|
|What are your top priorities for education?||Critical to K-12 edu is improving outcomes by replicating successful models statewide & funding wait lists #KTARtweetthevote||Supporting higher standards that include children passing 3rd grade reading levels, + attracting & retaining great teachers.||Yes to school choice. No to common core. Spend more efficiently. More dollars to classrooms. #KTARtweetthevote #azgov|
|What differentiates you from other candidates?||@azcopinions put it best: Moving AZ forward requires ability 2 bring together diverse coalitions. Ducey has shown he can do it||Only candidate that balanced a budget in the middle of a recession, proven results & leadership in private and public sectors.||Detailed plans for #bordersecurity & #economic development. Proven #biz success. No strings attached. https://vimeo.com/103029896|
Created with the HTML Table Generator
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development