PHOENIX — A Payson man got a little more than he bargained for when he went to move what he thought was a dead dog off an Arizona highway.
After seeing the animal laying by the road, Christopher Morris decided to stop and remove it. As he got closer, he learned it was a bear cub. When he was near enough to touch it, he found it was still alive.
He looked for the cub’s mother, but saw no sign of her, so Morris called several places in the Payson area to take the bear. None had space. He then contacted the Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center in Scottsdale and drove the bear to the Valley.
X-rays showed the 4-month-old cub suffered a fractured leg but was otherwise in good health.
It is unknown if the cub will be released back into the wild.
Last week, SWCC took in two baby animals separated from their parents during a huge storm. A baby skunk, nicknamed Monsoon, was found floating down a street in Surprise along with a young mule deer.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development