PHOENIX — A Payson man got a little more than he bargained for when he went to move what he thought was a dead dog off an Arizona highway.
After seeing the animal laying by the road, Christopher Morris decided to stop and remove it. As he got closer, he learned it was a bear cub. When he was near enough to touch it, he found it was still alive.
He looked for the cub’s mother, but saw no sign of her, so Morris called several places in the Payson area to take the bear. None had space. He then contacted the Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center in Scottsdale and drove the bear to the Valley.
X-rays showed the 4-month-old cub suffered a fractured leg but was otherwise in good health.
It is unknown if the cub will be released back into the wild.
Last week, SWCC took in two baby animals separated from their parents during a huge storm. A baby skunk, nicknamed Monsoon, was found floating down a street in Surprise along with a young mule deer.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates