PHOENIX — A Payson man got a little more than he bargained for when he went to move what he thought was a dead dog off an Arizona highway.
After seeing the animal laying by the road, Christopher Morris decided to stop and remove it. As he got closer, he learned it was a bear cub. When he was near enough to touch it, he found it was still alive.
He looked for the cub’s mother, but saw no sign of her, so Morris called several places in the Payson area to take the bear. None had space. He then contacted the Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center in Scottsdale and drove the bear to the Valley.
X-rays showed the 4-month-old cub suffered a fractured leg but was otherwise in good health.
It is unknown if the cub will be released back into the wild.
Last week, SWCC took in two baby animals separated from their parents during a huge storm. A baby skunk, nicknamed Monsoon, was found floating down a street in Surprise along with a young mule deer.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever