PHOENIX — Things will be a little less musical in downtown Tempe, Ariz., next month.
In a Saturday Facebook post, the Big Bang, a dueling piano bar occupying a basement location at Fifth Street and Mill Avenue, announced it would play its last note on Sept. 6.
The bar did not reveal why it was closing, though it is possible it could be a financial decision — the building that houses it has an unusually high turnover for an area frequented by college students. The ground floor has been occupied by multiple businesses over the past 10 years, including McDonald’s and The Library, a breastaurant similar to the Tempe-based Tilted Kilt. The building’s third story has also played host to a number of businesses.
The Big Bang said it is still accepting reservations for its last two weekends and has “a lot of awesome things happening” to mark the bar’s closing.
The bar, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain’s original location, St. Louis, is scheduled to close Sept. 8. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar’s website.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon