PHOENIX — Things will be a little less musical in downtown Tempe, Ariz., next month.
In a Saturday Facebook post, the Big Bang, a dueling piano bar occupying a basement location at Fifth Street and Mill Avenue, announced it would play its last note on Sept. 6.
The bar did not reveal why it was closing, though it is possible it could be a financial decision — the building that houses it has an unusually high turnover for an area frequented by college students. The ground floor has been occupied by multiple businesses over the past 10 years, including McDonald’s and The Library, a breastaurant similar to the Tempe-based Tilted Kilt. The building’s third story has also played host to a number of businesses.
The Big Bang said it is still accepting reservations for its last two weekends and has “a lot of awesome things happening” to mark the bar’s closing.
The bar, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain’s original location, St. Louis, is scheduled to close Sept. 8. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar’s website.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof