PHOENIX — Homeowners in south Phoenix have been dealing with water, mud and damage for two weeks after the area was hit hard by floods.
They’re not out of the woods yet. On Monday, a fire official said affected homeowners are facing a new threat: scammers.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Benjamin Santillan said he has heard reports of unlicensed contractors requesting money from elderly victims on fixed incomes and victims without flood insurance who are already anxious about where to turn to repair their homes.
“They’ve been stopping by our recovery operation center here and they’ve told us that individuals are stopping by homes and asking for $300 or more and came back asking for more,” he said. “Requesting money for work that isn’t being done correctly. Some people are already hundreds of dollars deep. It’s devastating to hear that someone would go out and take advantage of people.”
The recovery operation center at Phoenix Fire Station 57 at 17th Avenue and Dobbins Road is scheduled to be open until 7 p.m. Monday.
During the storm, 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area, the National Weather Service said.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a three-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Aug. 12 toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
The next day, the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development