PHOENIX — Homeowners in south Phoenix have been dealing with water, mud and damage for two weeks after the area was hit hard by floods.
They’re not out of the woods yet. On Monday, a fire official said affected homeowners are facing a new threat: scammers.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Benjamin Santillan said he has heard reports of unlicensed contractors requesting money from elderly victims on fixed incomes and victims without flood insurance who are already anxious about where to turn to repair their homes.
“They’ve been stopping by our recovery operation center here and they’ve told us that individuals are stopping by homes and asking for $300 or more and came back asking for more,” he said. “Requesting money for work that isn’t being done correctly. Some people are already hundreds of dollars deep. It’s devastating to hear that someone would go out and take advantage of people.”
The recovery operation center at Phoenix Fire Station 57 at 17th Avenue and Dobbins Road is scheduled to be open until 7 p.m. Monday.
During the storm, 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area, the National Weather Service said.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a three-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Aug. 12 toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
The next day, the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food