PHOENIX — Homeowners in south Phoenix have been dealing with water, mud and damage for two weeks after the area was hit hard by floods.
They’re not out of the woods yet. On Monday, a fire official said affected homeowners are facing a new threat: scammers.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Benjamin Santillan said he has heard reports of unlicensed contractors requesting money from elderly victims on fixed incomes and victims without flood insurance who are already anxious about where to turn to repair their homes.
“They’ve been stopping by our recovery operation center here and they’ve told us that individuals are stopping by homes and asking for $300 or more and came back asking for more,” he said. “Requesting money for work that isn’t being done correctly. Some people are already hundreds of dollars deep. It’s devastating to hear that someone would go out and take advantage of people.”
The recovery operation center at Phoenix Fire Station 57 at 17th Avenue and Dobbins Road is scheduled to be open until 7 p.m. Monday.
During the storm, 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area, the National Weather Service said.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a three-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Aug. 12 toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
The next day, the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America