PHOENIX — Many young adults are back on college campuses and living in dorms, so the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) is recommending they take an extra step to protect themselves.
The department is recommending students get vaccinated for the Human Papillomavirus, a highly contagious sexually transmitted disease, according to Dr. Karen Lewis with the ADHS.
“Body fluids have the virus (and) it’s extremely contagious,” she said. “By the time you’re 50 years old, about 80 percent of people will have acquired the infection.”
Lewis said most people get over the infection on their own, only suffering cosmetic symptoms.
“HPV comes in about 120 strains, 80 of the strains are just common skin warts,” Lewis said. “But 40 of the strains can cause infections.”
For others, HPV can cause much more serious and life-threatening health concerns.
“Some people will go on to develop cancer,” said Lewis.
The vaccination is given in three separate doses and Lewis said because of how contagious the disease is, getting the vaccine is a good idea.
“HPV vaccine protects against a majority of viruses that cause cervical cancers and throat cancers,” she said.
Lewis said the vaccine is recommended for people between 9 and 26 years old.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck