PHOENIX — Many young adults are back on college campuses and living in dorms, so the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) is recommending they take an extra step to protect themselves.
The department is recommending students get vaccinated for the Human Papillomavirus, a highly contagious sexually transmitted disease, according to Dr. Karen Lewis with the ADHS.
“Body fluids have the virus (and) it’s extremely contagious,” she said. “By the time you’re 50 years old, about 80 percent of people will have acquired the infection.”
Lewis said most people get over the infection on their own, only suffering cosmetic symptoms.
“HPV comes in about 120 strains, 80 of the strains are just common skin warts,” Lewis said. “But 40 of the strains can cause infections.”
For others, HPV can cause much more serious and life-threatening health concerns.
“Some people will go on to develop cancer,” said Lewis.
The vaccination is given in three separate doses and Lewis said because of how contagious the disease is, getting the vaccine is a good idea.
“HPV vaccine protects against a majority of viruses that cause cervical cancers and throat cancers,” she said.
Lewis said the vaccine is recommended for people between 9 and 26 years old.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy