PHOENIX – Youthful vitality doesn’t always mean kids heal faster from concussions according to new research from Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The findings show that children and adolescents who suffer concussions heal slower than their adult counterparts.
“On average, an adolescent will take 10 to 14 days to recover from a concussion,” said Javier Cárdenas, medical director at Barrow Concussion and Brain Injury Center.
Cárdenas attributes the longer recovery time to the fact that youthful minds are still developing and said the younger a person is, the longer it takes.
“The younger you are, indeed the longer it takes,” he said. “So while our high school athletes may take 10 to 14 days on average, our youth athletes may take even longer.”
Youth athletics are often responsible for concussions in kids and Cárdenas said when someone suffers a concussion it is critical that they do not suffer a second during recovery.
“If they sustain a second injury before recovering from the first, there can be devastating consequences such as bleeding of the brain, swelling of the brain and rarely death,” Cárdenas said.
He recommends parents and athletic trainers be vigilant in looking for signs of concussions, such as loss of consciousness, headaches and confusion in children.
It’s also important to make sure not to rush kids back into sports or physical activity during recovery of a concussion, Cárdenas said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon