PHOENIX – Youthful vitality doesn’t always mean kids heal faster from concussions according to new research from Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The findings show that children and adolescents who suffer concussions heal slower than their adult counterparts.
“On average, an adolescent will take 10 to 14 days to recover from a concussion,” said Javier Cárdenas, medical director at Barrow Concussion and Brain Injury Center.
Cárdenas attributes the longer recovery time to the fact that youthful minds are still developing and said the younger a person is, the longer it takes.
“The younger you are, indeed the longer it takes,” he said. “So while our high school athletes may take 10 to 14 days on average, our youth athletes may take even longer.”
Youth athletics are often responsible for concussions in kids and Cárdenas said when someone suffers a concussion it is critical that they do not suffer a second during recovery.
“If they sustain a second injury before recovering from the first, there can be devastating consequences such as bleeding of the brain, swelling of the brain and rarely death,” Cárdenas said.
He recommends parents and athletic trainers be vigilant in looking for signs of concussions, such as loss of consciousness, headaches and confusion in children.
It’s also important to make sure not to rush kids back into sports or physical activity during recovery of a concussion, Cárdenas said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns