U.S. Sen. John McCain made an appearance on “Fox News Sunday” and talked about the earthquake that hit California hours earlier while also criticizing President Barack Obama’s handling of ISIS in the Middle East.
“The president has to understand that America must lead and, when American hasn’t, a lot of bad things happen,” McCain told Fox News’ Chris Wallace.
The senator somehow found a way to tie in Sunday morning’s Bay Area earthquake, although he used the event to contrast Obama’s handling of terrorist groups.
“This is not like the earthquake in San Francisco,” he said. “All of this could have been avoided, like leaving a residual behind force in Iraq. And obviously the challenge is now much greater than it would have been.”
Business Insider says the Obama administration hinted at a broader campaign against ISIS last week, especially after seeing video of U.S. journalist James Foley being beheaded.
Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser to President Barack Obama, suggested on Friday the administration was weighing strikes against ISIS in Syria. Rhodes’ comments came a day after Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel called the threat posed by ISIS “imminent” and like “nothing we’ve seen.”
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), who typically aligns with McCain on matters of foreign policy, said on CNN Sunday that the group is now the “most prominent terrorist organization in the world.”
McCain sounded hopeful Sunday that Obama would call for stronger force against ISIS, although he wasn’t sure if that will be the case.
“I don’t think his advisers would be that far out front if they didn’t have some confidence,” McCain said. “It is a precursor to the president making an announcement of a new approach.”
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains