U.S. Sen. John McCain made an appearance on “Fox News Sunday” and talked about the earthquake that hit California hours earlier while also criticizing President Barack Obama’s handling of ISIS in the Middle East.
“The president has to understand that America must lead and, when American hasn’t, a lot of bad things happen,” McCain told Fox News’ Chris Wallace.
The senator somehow found a way to tie in Sunday morning’s Bay Area earthquake, although he used the event to contrast Obama’s handling of terrorist groups.
“This is not like the earthquake in San Francisco,” he said. “All of this could have been avoided, like leaving a residual behind force in Iraq. And obviously the challenge is now much greater than it would have been.”
Business Insider says the Obama administration hinted at a broader campaign against ISIS last week, especially after seeing video of U.S. journalist James Foley being beheaded.
Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser to President Barack Obama, suggested on Friday the administration was weighing strikes against ISIS in Syria. Rhodes’ comments came a day after Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel called the threat posed by ISIS “imminent” and like “nothing we’ve seen.”
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), who typically aligns with McCain on matters of foreign policy, said on CNN Sunday that the group is now the “most prominent terrorist organization in the world.”
McCain sounded hopeful Sunday that Obama would call for stronger force against ISIS, although he wasn’t sure if that will be the case.
“I don’t think his advisers would be that far out front if they didn’t have some confidence,” McCain said. “It is a precursor to the president making an announcement of a new approach.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon