Six candidates are vying to be the GOP candidate for Arizona’s next governor. The primary election on Tuesday, Aug. 26, will decide who exactly that will be.
As the heated contest nears its finish, TIME magazine has listed the six “feistiest” campaign ads — one from each of the candidates — in the gubernatorial race.
TIME says most of the ads touch upon, if not completely focus on, each of the candidates’ stance on immigration, including securing the border.
Arizona has long been at the center of the national immigration policy debate, especially this year as record numbers of unaccompanied minors crossed the Mexico-United States border. Current Republican governor Jan Brewer — who championed the state’s controversial SB1070, or “show-me-your-papers,” law — is term-limited, and the race to take up her mantle has been feisty.
Former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith’s ad uses screaming sheep to rebuke claims from some of his competitors. You might want to turn down your speakers a little before watching this one.
Secretary of State Ken Bennett touts his business experience as well as his endorsements from four state law enforcement associations for his aspirations to “keep Arizona safe.”
State Treasuer Doug Ducey decries President Barack Obama’s handling of immigration and the border in a 30-second spot.
Former GoDaddy executive Christine Jones says she’ll direct troops to the border, have the fence finished and “send Obama the bill.”
Frank Riggs — a former police officer, Army serviceman and congressman — says he’ll secure the border and fight federal overreach as well as the “Obamanization of Arizona.”
The ad for Andrew Thomas, the former attorney for Maricopa County, says he’ll be tough on illegal immigration, liberal judges and gay-rights activists.
Fred DuVal, meanwhile, hasn’t had to do much campaigning to this point, being that he is the lone candidate on the Democratic ticket. He will face the winner of the GOP primary in the Nov. 4 general election. Libertarian candidate Barry Hess will also be on the ballot.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.