U.S District Judge David Campbell has granted a restraining order to Krieger that will temporarily stop the Peoria City Council election, which means the votes cast next Tuesday for Peoria’s Mesquite District will not count.
“This ruling today was for the voter and for all the people of Peoria,” Krieger said. “If the courts wouldn’t have intervened today, this would have been an international embarrassment for the city of Peoria.
A special election will be held in Peoria later this year, and the candidates have 10 days to decide when.
Krieger is running against Ben Toma and Bridget Binsbacher.
Earlier this month, when his name was left off the ballot the first time, the Maricopa County Elections Office issued an apology to Krieger and sent out replacement ballots, only to leave his name off them for a second time.
“It was my personal error,” Karen Osborne, Maricopa County Elections director, said.
The Peoria City Council voted 3-2 on Aug. 7 for the County Elections Department choose one of two options to solve the issue, including send out a third ballot.
“It was confusing, in the beginning, having a second ballot,” Krieger said. “But now a third ballot? Can you imagine what the voters are going to act like when they get a third ballot in the mail? This is totally unacceptable.”
Krieger and his attorney opted to forge ahead with the lawsuit.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell, Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food