U.S District Judge David Campbell has granted a restraining order to Krieger that will temporarily stop the Peoria City Council election, which means the votes cast next Tuesday for Peoria’s Mesquite District will not count.
“This ruling today was for the voter and for all the people of Peoria,” Krieger said. “If the courts wouldn’t have intervened today, this would have been an international embarrassment for the city of Peoria.
A special election will be held in Peoria later this year, and the candidates have 10 days to decide when.
Krieger is running against Ben Toma and Bridget Binsbacher.
Earlier this month, when his name was left off the ballot the first time, the Maricopa County Elections Office issued an apology to Krieger and sent out replacement ballots, only to leave his name off them for a second time.
“It was my personal error,” Karen Osborne, Maricopa County Elections director, said.
The Peoria City Council voted 3-2 on Aug. 7 for the County Elections Department choose one of two options to solve the issue, including send out a third ballot.
“It was confusing, in the beginning, having a second ballot,” Krieger said. “But now a third ballot? Can you imagine what the voters are going to act like when they get a third ballot in the mail? This is totally unacceptable.”
Krieger and his attorney opted to forge ahead with the lawsuit.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell, Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier