U.S District Judge David Campbell has granted a restraining order to Krieger that will temporarily stop the Peoria City Council election, which means the votes cast next Tuesday for Peoria’s Mesquite District will not count.
“This ruling today was for the voter and for all the people of Peoria,” Krieger said. “If the courts wouldn’t have intervened today, this would have been an international embarrassment for the city of Peoria.
A special election will be held in Peoria later this year, and the candidates have 10 days to decide when.
Krieger is running against Ben Toma and Bridget Binsbacher.
Earlier this month, when his name was left off the ballot the first time, the Maricopa County Elections Office issued an apology to Krieger and sent out replacement ballots, only to leave his name off them for a second time.
“It was my personal error,” Karen Osborne, Maricopa County Elections director, said.
The Peoria City Council voted 3-2 on Aug. 7 for the County Elections Department choose one of two options to solve the issue, including send out a third ballot.
“It was confusing, in the beginning, having a second ballot,” Krieger said. “But now a third ballot? Can you imagine what the voters are going to act like when they get a third ballot in the mail? This is totally unacceptable.”
Krieger and his attorney opted to forge ahead with the lawsuit.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell, Bob McClay and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development