PHOENIX — A second-grade student at a Phoenix-area school died Friday while eating lunch, the school’s principal said.
The student, whom KTAR will not identify, was eating lunch about 11 a.m. at the Paseo Hills School near 35th Avenue and Deer Valley Road when he became unresponsive. It appeared something blocked his airway.
A teacher and nurse performed CPR and the Heimlich maneuver. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
A crisis team was sent to the school to support both staff and students.
Phoenix police say they’re investigating the case and the cause of death will
be determined by the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy