PHOENIX — A second-grade student at a Phoenix-area school died Friday while eating lunch, the school’s principal said.
The student, whom KTAR will not identify, was eating lunch about 11 a.m. at the Paseo Hills School near 35th Avenue and Deer Valley Road when he became unresponsive. It appeared something blocked his airway.
A teacher and nurse performed CPR and the Heimlich maneuver. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
A crisis team was sent to the school to support both staff and students.
Phoenix police say they’re investigating the case and the cause of death will
be determined by the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development