PHOENIX — Arizona State University researchers are one step closer to learning how to grow human limbs.
Just like lizards, newborns have the ability to regenerate; however, humans lose that ability shortly after birth.
Professor Kenro Kusumi and his research team have made a breakthrough discovery in the field of regeneration by studying the genetic make-up of lizards.
“We’ve basically got the sense of how they regenerate, so that gives us a chance to see what might be the (genetic) recipe we need to get our cells to be ready to regenerate,” Kusumi said.
Kusumi said if the research team is able to solve nature’s mystery of regeneration, it will have major medical implications.
“A lot of times we learn a lot from nature,” he said. “We kind of figure out how things are naturally happening and then sort of reverse engineer that to see how we can medically intervene.”
The team’s findings could eventually help develop treatments for spinal cord injuries, birth defects and arthritis.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier