PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain is calling on President Barack Obama to do more to defeat ISIS.
After speaking to Arizona mayors at a luncheon in downtown Phoenix Thursday, McCain said more airstrikes are needed, and that the president needs to get tough with the terrorist group.
“We have to work to defeat them, not just stop them,” McCain said. “The president used the word ‘containment’ yesterday. This isn’t containment that’s needed. It’s defeat of this horrible organization that is a threat to U.S. national security.”
McCain pointed to the recent beheading of American journalist James Foley as an example of the militant group’s barbarism. Foley was killed after the U.S. refused to submit to the militant group’s $132 million ransom request, a decision McCain, a former prisoner of war, actually supported.
“You can’t do that, then it’s open season on American citizens everywhere in the world,” he explained to News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Thursday. “It’s tragic that maybe we can’t ransom some of these people, but it’s just not something that is possible to do.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments