PHOENIX — The minor league hockey affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes, known for zany stunts, is taking a yearlong break, citing financial concerns.
“Slower than expected off-season revenue along with other league issues have moved us in this direction,” said Arizona Sundogs majority owner Brad Fain.
The decision was announced after the Central Hockey League gave the Prescott, Ariz.-based team permission to suspend operations for one year and still remain in good standing.
The team could return to the ice for the 2015-16 season, though it could be in a different league.
“We needed to take a deep breath and take a step back and evaluate where we are as a franchise and where we wanted to go,” said Sundogs General Manager Chris Presson. “This dormancy, while it’s unfortunate for the community for this season, gives us the chance to do that.”
In a less crazy promotion, the team also honored those affected by cancer at a special game in January.
All corporate sponsors and season ticket holders can expect full refunds within 30 days.
In a statement, Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said his organization hopes to see the Sundogs return soon.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick