PHOENIX — The minor league hockey affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes, known for zany stunts, is taking a yearlong break, citing financial concerns.
“Slower than expected off-season revenue along with other league issues have moved us in this direction,” said Arizona Sundogs majority owner Brad Fain.
The decision was announced after the Central Hockey League gave the Prescott, Ariz.-based team permission to suspend operations for one year and still remain in good standing.
The team could return to the ice for the 2015-16 season, though it could be in a different league.
“We needed to take a deep breath and take a step back and evaluate where we are as a franchise and where we wanted to go,” said Sundogs General Manager Chris Presson. “This dormancy, while it’s unfortunate for the community for this season, gives us the chance to do that.”
In a less crazy promotion, the team also honored those affected by cancer at a special game in January.
All corporate sponsors and season ticket holders can expect full refunds within 30 days.
In a statement, Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said his organization hopes to see the Sundogs return soon.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains