PHOENIX — Two decades ago, the Arizona legislature set foot on a slippery slope when it swept transportation dollars to the general fund.
Nearly $2 billion later, the Arizona Transit Association would like to see that habit end when new leaders take office.
“All of the elected leaders need to be more aware,” said Jim Dickey, the transit association’s executive director. “We need to reset some priorities, and look at some creative ways local and regional government can help.”
His agency commissioned a transportation study and recently released the survey.
“People under 30 have a very high interest in public transportation systems, not only in the urbanized areas, but in rural Arizona as well,” he said of the survey results.
He said the survey also found more than two-thirds of taxpayers preferred their dollars go toward more public buses and light-rail systems.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development