PHOENIX — Two decades ago, the Arizona legislature set foot on a slippery slope when it swept transportation dollars to the general fund.
Nearly $2 billion later, the Arizona Transit Association would like to see that habit end when new leaders take office.
“All of the elected leaders need to be more aware,” said Jim Dickey, the transit association’s executive director. “We need to reset some priorities, and look at some creative ways local and regional government can help.”
His agency commissioned a transportation study and recently released the survey.
“People under 30 have a very high interest in public transportation systems, not only in the urbanized areas, but in rural Arizona as well,” he said of the survey results.
He said the survey also found more than two-thirds of taxpayers preferred their dollars go toward more public buses and light-rail systems.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food