PHOENIX — The monsoon has delivered plenty of rainfall in several Arizona locations over the summer, but a climate expert said it won’t end the drought.
Arizona State University professor Randy Cerveny said all the rain still won’t end the drought that began in 1997.
Earlier this week New River and Black Canyon City saw several inches of rain; flooding ensued. During this monsoon the National Weather Service said Prescott has had 10.24 inches of rain, twice the norm. Flagstaff at nine inches was almost twice its average.
That may look good on paper, but “It doesn’t really soak in because it falls so intensely that it runs off as opposed to general rain that allows it to soak into the soil,” Cerveny said. “Snow cover is really the drought busting moisture that we need.”
El Nino is expected to bring more snow in the winter.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas