PHOENIX — The monsoon has delivered plenty of rainfall in several Arizona locations over the summer, but a climate expert said it won’t end the drought.
Arizona State University professor Randy Cerveny said all the rain still won’t end the drought that began in 1997.
Earlier this week New River and Black Canyon City saw several inches of rain; flooding ensued. During this monsoon the National Weather Service said Prescott has had 10.24 inches of rain, twice the norm. Flagstaff at nine inches was almost twice its average.
That may look good on paper, but “It doesn’t really soak in because it falls so intensely that it runs off as opposed to general rain that allows it to soak into the soil,” Cerveny said. “Snow cover is really the drought busting moisture that we need.”
El Nino is expected to bring more snow in the winter.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development