PHOENIX — Doctors may soon be able to prescribe a blood test that could give lung cancer patients some new hope.
Phoenix-based Global Cancer Diagnostics is in the final testing stage of a new blood test that it says will give the patients a fighting chance.
“We analyze the blood for certain protein biomarkers that are known to be related to cancer and, specifically, lung cancer,” said company CEO Will Gartner. “Those circulate in the blood much earlier than x-rays can detect a growing nodule of cancer.”
It’s called the Lung Cancer Test for Early Detection and will cost patients $99. Gartner said the company is holding costs down by not accepting insurance as payment. He said that would require much more paperwork.
Gartner believes the test will catch lung cancer in its first two stages, which will save lives.
“The survival rates are between 10 and 20 percent in five years if you are diagnosed with stage 3 or 4 lung cancer,” he explained.
Gartner said the survival rate is over 80 percent if the cancer is caught in the first or second stages.
Patients in 26 states will be able to buy the test over the Internet. An insulated box will then be mailed to them, in which they can ship their blood to Phoenix for testing.
Arizona is not one of those 26 states, however. Here, a patient will need a doctor’s prescription to get the test.
Gartner said the test should be available for sale in about eight weeks.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.