PHOENIX — Tuesday’s big storms could bring any itchy problem to the Valley.
The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department said residents could see new mosquitoes.
“[But] not yet,” said Field Supervisor David Guerrieri. “The complaints that we are receiving right now were generated by the rain event that we got last week and the week before.”
But he said that more mosquitoes are on the way.
“Every area of the county got water,” Guerrieri said. “New breeding sites (will) open up and that will generate more mosquito activity, usually in about 7 to 10 days after the rain event.”
The county has set over 17,200 traps to catch the pests so far this year.
“We monitor these traps on a regular basis so that we have a good idea where the mosquito activity is going throughout the entire year,” he explained.
Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Guerrieri said residents can prevent some of the flying insects by getting rid of any standing water around their house.
“Flower pots, tires, wheel barrels, kids toys, birdbaths, anything that has standing water in it,” he said. “Any of those places will bring mosquitoes.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy