PHOENIX — Tuesday’s big storms could bring any itchy problem to the Valley.
The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department said residents could see new mosquitoes.
“[But] not yet,” said Field Supervisor David Guerrieri. “The complaints that we are receiving right now were generated by the rain event that we got last week and the week before.”
But he said that more mosquitoes are on the way.
“Every area of the county got water,” Guerrieri said. “New breeding sites (will) open up and that will generate more mosquito activity, usually in about 7 to 10 days after the rain event.”
The county has set over 17,200 traps to catch the pests so far this year.
“We monitor these traps on a regular basis so that we have a good idea where the mosquito activity is going throughout the entire year,” he explained.
Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Guerrieri said residents can prevent some of the flying insects by getting rid of any standing water around their house.
“Flower pots, tires, wheel barrels, kids toys, birdbaths, anything that has standing water in it,” he said. “Any of those places will bring mosquitoes.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain