PHOENIX — Tuesday’s big storms could bring any itchy problem to the Valley.
The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department said residents could see new mosquitoes.
“[But] not yet,” said Field Supervisor David Guerrieri. “The complaints that we are receiving right now were generated by the rain event that we got last week and the week before.”
But he said that more mosquitoes are on the way.
“Every area of the county got water,” Guerrieri said. “New breeding sites (will) open up and that will generate more mosquito activity, usually in about 7 to 10 days after the rain event.”
The county has set over 17,200 traps to catch the pests so far this year.
“We monitor these traps on a regular basis so that we have a good idea where the mosquito activity is going throughout the entire year,” he explained.
Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Guerrieri said residents can prevent some of the flying insects by getting rid of any standing water around their house.
“Flower pots, tires, wheel barrels, kids toys, birdbaths, anything that has standing water in it,” he said. “Any of those places will bring mosquitoes.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier