PHOENIX — Cars were splashing through puddles across Maricopa County on Tuesday after a big storm made its way through the area.
The host of KTAR’s “Bumper to Bumper” radio show, Dave Riccio, said most cars probably made it through the rain OK, but some could have an issue.
“The day after a rainstorm, you great squeaky brakes,” he said. “That usually blows off in a matter of time. If a car gets any sort of water in the ignition system, spark plug wires, or anything like that, you’ll have stalling issues and the car might run rough.”
Riccio said if water gets into a car’s compression chamber, it could ruin the pistons and cause the car to hydrolock.
It’s pretty easy to spot a car that has hydrolocked: Look for the one stalled out and is stuck in a flood.
“You know the guy that you see on the 5 o’clock news? The one on top of his car, which is stalled out in the middle of flood waters? Chances are that he hydrolocked his motor,” said Riccio. “So not only is he going to sit on top of that car until the helicopter shows up to rescue him, but he also wrecked his engine.”
He said most newer cars are built well enough that Tuesday’s rain should not pose an issue.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development