PHOENIX — Cars were splashing through puddles across Maricopa County on Tuesday after a big storm made its way through the area.
The host of KTAR’s “Bumper to Bumper” radio show, Dave Riccio, said most cars probably made it through the rain OK, but some could have an issue.
“The day after a rainstorm, you great squeaky brakes,” he said. “That usually blows off in a matter of time. If a car gets any sort of water in the ignition system, spark plug wires, or anything like that, you’ll have stalling issues and the car might run rough.”
Riccio said if water gets into a car’s compression chamber, it could ruin the pistons and cause the car to hydrolock.
It’s pretty easy to spot a car that has hydrolocked: Look for the one stalled out and is stuck in a flood.
“You know the guy that you see on the 5 o’clock news? The one on top of his car, which is stalled out in the middle of flood waters? Chances are that he hydrolocked his motor,” said Riccio. “So not only is he going to sit on top of that car until the helicopter shows up to rescue him, but he also wrecked his engine.”
He said most newer cars are built well enough that Tuesday’s rain should not pose an issue.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night