PHOENIX — The officer-involved fatal shooting of a mentally-ill woman in Phoenix last week has prompted several criminal and administrative investigations.
Many people, including Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia, are wondering if Sgt. Percy Dupra used excessive force when he shot and killed Michelle Cusseaux.
“I want to make sure that the Phoenix Police Department and our community has answers to all the questions they have,” Garcia said.
Garcia also has asked the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office to independently review the criminal investigation and make the final case decisions.
In the meantime, the chief is working to provide his officers with mental health-awareness training.
“It allows every officer to understand that when you’re dealing with somebody who is a danger to themselves or others that we have to slow things down, that we have to do things differently,” he explained.
Police were called Aug. 14 to a Maryvale apartment complex to serve an emergency mental health pickup order on Cusseaux. They say she lunged toward officers with a hammer above her head, and that is when Dupra shot her. Cusseaux later died at a hospital.
No matter what the investigations turn up, Garcia has a message regarding the shooting.
“I’m sorry for what happened to Michelle Cusseaux,” he said. “I give my condolences to Francis Garrett, her mother, and the family.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life