PHOENIX — American journalist James Foley, killed by Islamist militants, is being remembered by colleagues for his dedication to Phoenix students when he taught here with Teach For America.
Foley, who was abducted in Syria last year, was beheaded this week. A video posted online showing his murder surfaced Tuesday.
Friends from the nonprofit, which is dedicated to sending teachers to low-income American communities, said he would be remembered for his “tenacity, his spirit and his fierce dedication to give voice to the voiceless.”
Foley taught at Lowell Elementary near First Avenue and Buckeye Road in 1996-99.
A former student shared a fond memory on social media.
In January, after Foley had been missing several months, a friend who had worked with him in Phoenix wrote of his connection to the kids in his classes.
His sense of integrity has always meant devoting himself entirely to his work. As a teacher, Jim dedicated hours to his middle school social studies students at Lowell School and stayed in touch even when he was no longer their teacher.
She recalled his promises to take the kids to the roller coasters near MetroCenter Mall if they attended daily class.
She went on say that several of his former students had been active in an Internet campaign seeking his release.
Others who knew him also went online to share:
Here's how I remember James Foley: hilarious, creative, laughing, learning. Even as I sit here crying, I remember that James.
— Crystal Brakke (@crystaldbrakke) August 19, 2014
Jim was a committed reporter & a member of one of @teachforamerica‘s first corps. My thoughts are with his parents and friends.
— Wendy Kopp (@wendykopp) August 20, 2014
President Obama addressed the killing , saying, “When people harm Americans, anywhere, we do what’s necessary to see that justice is done. And we act against ISIL, standing alongside others.”
Obama also said that ultimately groups such as ISIL fail “because the future is won by those who build and not destroy and the world is shaped by people like Jim Foley and the overwhelming majority of humanity who are appalled by those who killed him.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.