PHOENIX — The federal government is pitching in to help an Arizona organization fight human trafficking.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has given a $90,000 grant to Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles.
Most of the money will go towards staffing, while a portion will go towards awareness campaigns.
“It’s my hope that through education and public awareness, victims of sex trafficking will more readily be identified and otherwise feel safer coming forward to report their circumstances and perpetrators,” Voyles said.
“A lot of these girls don’t realize they’re actually being trafficked,” he said. “They believe that they’re in a relationship with a boyfriend and that boyfriend wants them to do these things, not realizing that, in fact, they’re being trafficked.”
The center is one of 18 organizations throughout the nation to receive the federal grant.
“This is a grant given to our office and entrusted to actually go out and help identify, train and build coalitions and public awareness on sex trafficking,” Voyles said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night