PHOENIX — The federal government is pitching in to help an Arizona organization fight human trafficking.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has given a $90,000 grant to Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles.
Most of the money will go towards staffing, while a portion will go towards awareness campaigns.
“It’s my hope that through education and public awareness, victims of sex trafficking will more readily be identified and otherwise feel safer coming forward to report their circumstances and perpetrators,” Voyles said.
“A lot of these girls don’t realize they’re actually being trafficked,” he said. “They believe that they’re in a relationship with a boyfriend and that boyfriend wants them to do these things, not realizing that, in fact, they’re being trafficked.”
The center is one of 18 organizations throughout the nation to receive the federal grant.
“This is a grant given to our office and entrusted to actually go out and help identify, train and build coalitions and public awareness on sex trafficking,” Voyles said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them