PHOENIX — Arizona winemakers are keeping their fingers crossed in hopes that Mother Nature will continue her kindness.
It’s been rainy in some areas around the state, which could delay the end of the harvest season, but barring a massive hailstorm, this could be a record-breaking year.
“It looks like a better year than last year, and last year was better than the year before,” said grower and winemaker Sam Pillsbury, owner of Wilcox, Ariz.-based Pillsbury Wine Company.
He has approximately 100 acres and expects to harvest up to 65 tons of fruit, which would be a 20 percent increase over last year.
“Acidity isn’t too high, the PH isn’t too high, the seeds are brown,” said Pillsbury. “These are all things wine growers and winemakers look for and dream about, so it looks really good.”
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there were over 220,000 gallons of wine produced in Arizona last year.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier