PHOENIX — Arizona winemakers are keeping their fingers crossed in hopes that Mother Nature will continue her kindness.
It’s been rainy in some areas around the state, which could delay the end of the harvest season, but barring a massive hailstorm, this could be a record-breaking year.
“It looks like a better year than last year, and last year was better than the year before,” said grower and winemaker Sam Pillsbury, owner of Wilcox, Ariz.-based Pillsbury Wine Company.
He has approximately 100 acres and expects to harvest up to 65 tons of fruit, which would be a 20 percent increase over last year.
“Acidity isn’t too high, the PH isn’t too high, the seeds are brown,” said Pillsbury. “These are all things wine growers and winemakers look for and dream about, so it looks really good.”
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there were over 220,000 gallons of wine produced in Arizona last year.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy