PHOENIX — Arizona winemakers are keeping their fingers crossed in hopes that Mother Nature will continue her kindness.
It’s been rainy in some areas around the state, which could delay the end of the harvest season, but barring a massive hailstorm, this could be a record-breaking year.
“It looks like a better year than last year, and last year was better than the year before,” said grower and winemaker Sam Pillsbury, owner of Wilcox, Ariz.-based Pillsbury Wine Company.
He has approximately 100 acres and expects to harvest up to 65 tons of fruit, which would be a 20 percent increase over last year.
“Acidity isn’t too high, the PH isn’t too high, the seeds are brown,” said Pillsbury. “These are all things wine growers and winemakers look for and dream about, so it looks really good.”
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there were over 220,000 gallons of wine produced in Arizona last year.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night