PHOENIX — It’s back in business, and that’s good news for teens living in South Phoenix.
As part of its budget, the city allowed for the reopening of the South Phoenix Youth Center, next to South Mountain High School.
“It’s a great place,” said Karen Williams, deputy director of the the City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department. “It’s not only a safe place to come and have fun with your friends, you can do homework and learn how to be a better citizen.”
Teens who are already enjoying the facility seem excited about having a safe place to be with like-minded peers who want to stay away from trouble.
“It’s a safe place to hangout and we need more places like this,” said one teen.
The city had originally shut down the center because of budget problems.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier