PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office rescued a woman trapped in a car in a flooded wash on Tuesday.
News helicopters showed a white minivan trapped in flood waters near 211th Avenue and Dixileta Drive in Wittman, Ariz.
MCSO rescuers were transported in by helicopter and immediately took to the rushing waters. They broke a window on the van and were able to open a door.
The rescuer pulled the older woman out of the van as waters continued to rise. She was able to walk away from the scene.
Other water rescues were conducted in north Phoenix as storms pounded the area. No injuries were reported.
More than two inches of rain had fallen in an hour all across metro Phoenix early Tuesday.
Water had reached the freeway at Interstate 17 northbound near Happy Valley Road, turning the roadway into a muddy river. State transportation officials closed off the freeway in both directions by 10 a.m. and Carefree Highway was closed 3 miles west of the freeway.
A little farther north, a trailer park in Black Canyon City was evacuated.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.