PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office rescued a woman trapped in a car in a flooded wash on Tuesday.
News helicopters showed a white minivan trapped in flood waters near 211th Avenue and Dixileta Drive in Wittman, Ariz.
MCSO rescuers were transported in by helicopter and immediately took to the rushing waters. They broke a window on the van and were able to open a door.
The rescuer pulled the older woman out of the van as waters continued to rise. She was able to walk away from the scene.
Other water rescues were conducted in north Phoenix as storms pounded the area. No injuries were reported.
More than two inches of rain had fallen in an hour all across metro Phoenix early Tuesday.
Water had reached the freeway at Interstate 17 northbound near Happy Valley Road, turning the roadway into a muddy river. State transportation officials closed off the freeway in both directions by 10 a.m. and Carefree Highway was closed 3 miles west of the freeway.
A little farther north, a trailer park in Black Canyon City was evacuated.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains