PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office rescued a woman trapped in a car in a flooded wash on Tuesday.
News helicopters showed a white minivan trapped in flood waters near 211th Avenue and Dixileta Drive in Wittman, Ariz.
MCSO rescuers were transported in by helicopter and immediately took to the rushing waters. They broke a window on the van and were able to open a door.
The rescuer pulled the older woman out of the van as waters continued to rise. She was able to walk away from the scene.
Other water rescues were conducted in north Phoenix as storms pounded the area. No injuries were reported.
More than two inches of rain had fallen in an hour all across metro Phoenix early Tuesday.
Water had reached the freeway at Interstate 17 northbound near Happy Valley Road, turning the roadway into a muddy river. State transportation officials closed off the freeway in both directions by 10 a.m. and Carefree Highway was closed 3 miles west of the freeway.
A little farther north, a trailer park in Black Canyon City was evacuated.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon