PHOENIX — For parents, speaking with teachers is completely different than how it was when they were in school.
The same goes for teachers and the role they play in educating students, especially when it comes to both the Internet and parents who could be described as “nosy” or even “confrontational.”
“We always want the parent to be an advocate for their kid,” Tony Britton, guidance counselor at Desert Edge High School in Goodyear, Ariz., told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Monday.
But even Britton admitted that the landscape between the teacher and parent has changed.
“It has shifted a little bit…it used to be the teacher was always right (and) the parent would back it,” he explained. “Today, we’re seeing that with children being more and more mature and having more access to information that they’re definitely not always in the wrong.”
Britton said that in the past, parents would get a phone call from the teacher, at best, but otherwise, they mostly had to make a special trip down to the school. With more and more schools and teachers using the Internet, Britton advised parents to use other means of contacting the teacher first to help keep heads cool and facts straight.
“Email allows me an opportunity to put my ducks in a row, so when I get back to the parent, I’m not leaving something out or they’re not leaving with an incomplete answer,” he said.
He added that the school districts and individual schools also have websites with additional ways to contact teachers.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident