PHOENIX — An internationally-recognized artist and political refugee has become the victim of theft.
Police report that on Aug. 18, the perpetrator smashed through a window of a gallery in downtown Phoenix and stole pieces belonging to artist Bassim Al-Shaker. The value of the paintings is estimated at $70,000.
“[It’s] very hard for me,” said Al-Shaker. “I’m surprised, because the city is safe and there are so many very good people.”
Al-Shaker left Baghdad in fear of his life. He was systematically humiliated and beaten by military officials because of his artwork. His dream to paint whatever was in his heart led him ultimately to Phoenix, where there is a large Iraqi community.
The Phoenix Police Department’s Property Crimes Unit is requesting anyone with information to call Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS with any information as to the whereabouts of this property or those who committed the crime.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.