PHOENIX — An internationally-recognized artist and political refugee has become the victim of theft.
Police report that on Aug. 18, the perpetrator smashed through a window of a gallery in downtown Phoenix and stole pieces belonging to artist Bassim Al-Shaker. The value of the paintings is estimated at $70,000.
“[It’s] very hard for me,” said Al-Shaker. “I’m surprised, because the city is safe and there are so many very good people.”
Al-Shaker left Baghdad in fear of his life. He was systematically humiliated and beaten by military officials because of his artwork. His dream to paint whatever was in his heart led him ultimately to Phoenix, where there is a large Iraqi community.
The Phoenix Police Department’s Property Crimes Unit is requesting anyone with information to call Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS with any information as to the whereabouts of this property or those who committed the crime.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon