PHOENIX — The National Insurance Crime Bureau has released its top 10 list of most stolen car models, but Phoenix Police said it doesn’t matter what model consumers buy — everyone is at risk.
“No matter how simple it may seem for even the best suspects to steal a vehicle, if there are deterrents there and they are clearly visible, then they would rather move on to the next vehicle that is not as secure,” Officer James Holmes explained.
Topping the NICB’s list, nationally and in Arizona, was the Honda Accord, and Holmes said cars, such as the Accord, are often stolen to be broken down for parts in what are commonly called “chop shops.”
Several model trucks also made the top 10 in Arizona and Holmes said those are often stolen to be resold across the border because of their durability and towing capacity.
Holmes said there are several simple and effective deterrents people can utilize to help reduce the chance of having their car stolen.
“Anti-theft devices (such as) car alarms, steering wheel locking mechanisms, the mechanism that locks the gas pedal to the steering wheel, those types of things,” he said.
Beside anti-theft devices, Holmes advised people to always park in well-lit areas.
“Where you place your vehicle is so very important and a lot of people don’t think about that,” he said. “They think more about the anti-theft devices on there, but where you put the vehicle when you leave it is probably one of the better deterrents to having your vehicle stolen.”
Holmes also recommended people never leave keys, valuables and garage door openers inside their vehicle in plain sight.
For a list of the top 10 most stolen vehicles from last year, click through the below photo gallery.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick