PHOENIX — The National Insurance Crime Bureau has released its top 10 list of most stolen car models, but Phoenix Police said it doesn’t matter what model consumers buy — everyone is at risk.
“No matter how simple it may seem for even the best suspects to steal a vehicle, if there are deterrents there and they are clearly visible, then they would rather move on to the next vehicle that is not as secure,” Officer James Holmes explained.
Topping the NICB’s list, nationally and in Arizona, was the Honda Accord, and Holmes said cars, such as the Accord, are often stolen to be broken down for parts in what are commonly called “chop shops.”
Several model trucks also made the top 10 in Arizona and Holmes said those are often stolen to be resold across the border because of their durability and towing capacity.
Holmes said there are several simple and effective deterrents people can utilize to help reduce the chance of having their car stolen.
“Anti-theft devices (such as) car alarms, steering wheel locking mechanisms, the mechanism that locks the gas pedal to the steering wheel, those types of things,” he said.
Beside anti-theft devices, Holmes advised people to always park in well-lit areas.
“Where you place your vehicle is so very important and a lot of people don’t think about that,” he said. “They think more about the anti-theft devices on there, but where you put the vehicle when you leave it is probably one of the better deterrents to having your vehicle stolen.”
Holmes also recommended people never leave keys, valuables and garage door openers inside their vehicle in plain sight.
For a list of the top 10 most stolen vehicles from last year, click through the below photo gallery.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.