PHOENIX — The National Insurance Crime Bureau has released its top 10 list of most stolen car models, but Phoenix Police said it doesn’t matter what model consumers buy — everyone is at risk.
“No matter how simple it may seem for even the best suspects to steal a vehicle, if there are deterrents there and they are clearly visible, then they would rather move on to the next vehicle that is not as secure,” Officer James Holmes explained.
Topping the NICB’s list, nationally and in Arizona, was the Honda Accord, and Holmes said cars, such as the Accord, are often stolen to be broken down for parts in what are commonly called “chop shops.”
Several model trucks also made the top 10 in Arizona and Holmes said those are often stolen to be resold across the border because of their durability and towing capacity.
Holmes said there are several simple and effective deterrents people can utilize to help reduce the chance of having their car stolen.
“Anti-theft devices (such as) car alarms, steering wheel locking mechanisms, the mechanism that locks the gas pedal to the steering wheel, those types of things,” he said.
Beside anti-theft devices, Holmes advised people to always park in well-lit areas.
“Where you place your vehicle is so very important and a lot of people don’t think about that,” he said. “They think more about the anti-theft devices on there, but where you put the vehicle when you leave it is probably one of the better deterrents to having your vehicle stolen.”
Holmes also recommended people never leave keys, valuables and garage door openers inside their vehicle in plain sight.
For a list of the top 10 most stolen vehicles from last year, click through the below photo gallery.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development