PHOENIX — The family of a mentally ill woman shot and killed by police last week met with the mayor of Phoenix Monday, urging an outside investigation into the incident.
“We need to have another independent investigation,” said Francis Garrett, the mother of 50-year-old Michelle Cusseaux, said alongside her attorney and several African-American community leaders outside City Hall.
“I would hate for this to happen to another mother, in losing a child,” she said.
Phoenix Police were serving an Emergency Mental Health Pick Up Order for Cusseaux in Maryvale. Police said Cusseaux threatened them with a hammer forcing one officer to shoot.
“(I) spoke with a mental health organization. I called to ask to get my daughter the help she needs, for her to have inpatient care,” Garrett said. “I did call, and this is the end result.”
The group is giving Mayor Greg Stanton until Thursday to decide.
The incident has also sparked outcry from activists who are calling for a change in the public’s perception of mental illness.
“We need to bring the human component back into this situation, into this illness,” said Tonya Norwood, president of the National Organization for Women.
Norwood and a few others gathered at the Arizona State Capitol on Monday morning with signs urging legislators, police and the public at large to better understand those with mental illness.
The group’s focus is to open dialogue and seek treatment for the mentally ill, because Norwood said mental illness is an issue that affects all parts of society.
“We need to bring it to the foresight, because those are a great deal of our homeless (and) a great deal of those who end up hospitalized and affecting our cost of care,” she said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy