PHOENIX — Tempe’s college scene and overall appeal has helped push the Phoenix suburb to a top-five finish among American college towns, based on a website’s ratings.
Livability.com said Tempe, home to Arizona State University, combined a big-city experience with a college-town atmosphere. The ranking is based on shopping opportunities, an active nightlife, a diverse economy, recreational facilities and warm, sunny days, among many other factors.
The site also pointed out that ASU played a major role in the city’s economy, providing more than 11,000 jobs, and is home to more than 60,000 students.
Two other western cities made the cut — Moscow, Idaho (University of Idaho) came in at No. 8, and Logan, Utah (Utah State)finished second.
Ames, Iowa, which is home to Iowa State University, came in at No. 1.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier