PHOENIX — Two suburban Phoenix schools aced a test and earned recognition as among the top systems in the world.
Basis Scottsdale and Chandler took the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Test for Schools, an international assessment-and-comparison tool, in the spring.
Both charter schools performed exceptionally well in reading, math and science, besting schools from Shanghai, China. That school system produced the highest test scores in 2012 and has been the model for success for the test.
The test has been given at 65 schools around the world to 15-year-olds since 2009.
“We ask in class critical-thinking questions, things most schools don’t,” Stephanie Terrell said. Terrell heads the Chandler campus.
The Scottsdale school’s reading score of 625 put it in the top 1 percent. Chandler scored 594 and Shanghai 556.
In math, Scottsdale racked up a 636 and Chandler 612. Scottsdale also breezed in science with 616. Chandler scored 585.
Basis schools have made appearances on U.S. News and World Report’s list of best high schools in the country.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this article.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them