A lot of college freshmen are moving out of the house and on to campus this week.
One of the first things they may gain from the experience is the “freshman 15.”
Fifteen pounds, that is.
That’s because, for the first time, they’re on their own.
“If you want to eat one meal a day or 10 meals a day, that’s how you do it,” said Dr. Don Buckland of U.S. Healthworks in Phoenix. “Or if you want to eat only at midnight, that’s how you do it. All of those things can really add on the pounds.”
Buckland said there are several things they can do to avoid this. One is stocking the dorm room with fruit and other healthy things to eat, instead of going for the junk food. Reaching for a bag of potato chips to deal with the stress of an upcoming test is a bad idea. Stress could be better dealt with through mental breaks or exercise, he said.
Breakfast is important, too.
“Everyone who is overweight skips breakfast, and it just makes them more overweight,” Buckland said. “The reason is that you tend to eat more to make up for skipping breakfast.”
He said to limit the number of soft drinks, which can run as high as 200 calories apiece. As a substitute, Buckland offered his favorite drink recipe.
“I just pour about an inch of orange juice into a glass of ice water,” he said. “That gives some taste, gives some electrolytes, it gives some fluids, has almost zero calories, and it also costs less!”
The doctor also suggests avoiding the late night pizza or so called “fourth meal” at a favorite fast food restaurant.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon