A lot of college freshmen are moving out of the house and on to campus this week.
One of the first things they may gain from the experience is the “freshman 15.”
Fifteen pounds, that is.
That’s because, for the first time, they’re on their own.
“If you want to eat one meal a day or 10 meals a day, that’s how you do it,” said Dr. Don Buckland of U.S. Healthworks in Phoenix. “Or if you want to eat only at midnight, that’s how you do it. All of those things can really add on the pounds.”
Buckland said there are several things they can do to avoid this. One is stocking the dorm room with fruit and other healthy things to eat, instead of going for the junk food. Reaching for a bag of potato chips to deal with the stress of an upcoming test is a bad idea. Stress could be better dealt with through mental breaks or exercise, he said.
Breakfast is important, too.
“Everyone who is overweight skips breakfast, and it just makes them more overweight,” Buckland said. “The reason is that you tend to eat more to make up for skipping breakfast.”
He said to limit the number of soft drinks, which can run as high as 200 calories apiece. As a substitute, Buckland offered his favorite drink recipe.
“I just pour about an inch of orange juice into a glass of ice water,” he said. “That gives some taste, gives some electrolytes, it gives some fluids, has almost zero calories, and it also costs less!”
The doctor also suggests avoiding the late night pizza or so called “fourth meal” at a favorite fast food restaurant.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.