PHOENIX — State Treasurer Doug Ducey appears to be the front-runner in the Republican primary for Arizona’s next governor, at least according to one poll.
The Phoenix Business Journals reports Ducey scored 31 percent of likely primary voters in a poll recently conducted for the Arizona Automobile Dealers Association.
The poll consisted of 1,300 respondents who are registered Republicans or independents and who plan to vote in the Aug. 26 GOP primary.
Former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith was second in the poll at 23 percent. After that, former GoDaddy executive Christine Jones came up with 16 percent of votes in the poll while Secretary of State Ken Bennett garnered 10 percent.
Jones was previously second in most polls behind Ducey but has been surpassed by Smith, according to a series of AADA polls.
The most recent survey was conducted after Gov. Jan Brewer’s endorsement of Smith. It shows Ducey — who has the backing of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin — expanding his lead.
The Business Journal added that Smith does well among independents, leading Ducey by a 36 percent to 19 percent margin in the latest poll. The respondent base was 14 percent independent.
Other GOP contenders such as Andrew Thomas and Frank Riggs earned just 7 percent and 3 percent, respectively, in the AADA poll.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them