PHOENIX — State Treasurer Doug Ducey appears to be the front-runner in the Republican primary for Arizona’s next governor, at least according to one poll.
The Phoenix Business Journals reports Ducey scored 31 percent of likely primary voters in a poll recently conducted for the Arizona Automobile Dealers Association.
The poll consisted of 1,300 respondents who are registered Republicans or independents and who plan to vote in the Aug. 26 GOP primary.
Former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith was second in the poll at 23 percent. After that, former GoDaddy executive Christine Jones came up with 16 percent of votes in the poll while Secretary of State Ken Bennett garnered 10 percent.
Jones was previously second in most polls behind Ducey but has been surpassed by Smith, according to a series of AADA polls.
The most recent survey was conducted after Gov. Jan Brewer’s endorsement of Smith. It shows Ducey — who has the backing of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin — expanding his lead.
The Business Journal added that Smith does well among independents, leading Ducey by a 36 percent to 19 percent margin in the latest poll. The respondent base was 14 percent independent.
Other GOP contenders such as Andrew Thomas and Frank Riggs earned just 7 percent and 3 percent, respectively, in the AADA poll.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development