PHOENIX — Protesters gathered in sweltering heat in downtown Phoenix to decry the
shooting death of an unarmed teen in Ferguson, Missouri.
The Rev. Jarrett Maupin and United In Red organizer Lauryn Mangum were among the leaders of Saturday’s outside Phoenix City Hall.
Approximately 75 demonstrators stood in a shaded spot outside city hall starting at 11 a.m.
A majority of the protesters wore red T-shirts to symbolize the color of blood.
The rally appeared relatively peaceful as demonstrators took turns speaking
about police brutality and racial profiling.
Five plainclothes officers from the Phoenix police’s community response squad
were also present.
A press release from Maupin said the rally was in response to Michael Brown’s death near St. Louis and the ongoing investigation of Michelle Cusseaux’s death at the hands of a Phoenix police officer.
Phoenix-area civil rights supporters are joining a national call, according to Maupin, for an end to the 1033 Program — in which local police agencies are “gifted” military-style equipment from the feds — and for funding for mental illnesses, among other objectives.
“We are gathering today to, once again, focus the nation’s attention on Phoenix as we deal with our own version of Ferguson. We cannot allow the death of Michelle Cusseaux and others to happen without calling for justice, Maupin said. “What we need is for County Attorney Bill Montgomery or Attorney General Tom Horne to step up and investigate these killings and unchecked violence against citizens, many of whom are people of color.”
Protests have been taking place in several cities across the country since the
Aug. 9 shooting of the 18-year-old Brown.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets