PHOENIX — With a record breaking numbers of students living in Arizona State University’s student housing, some will be waking up in hotel rooms rather than dorms at the start of this school year.
For a second straight year, the school’s downtown campus has been overbooked and students have been placed temporarily into hotels while the school makes arrangements.
“There are fewer than 30 students who are assigned to nearby hotels,” said ASU Spokeswoman Julie Newberg.
More than 13,500 new and returning students are moving into ASU dorms across the school’s four campuses, with 1,300 of those moving into Taylor Place, the downtown Phoenix resident hall, Newberg said. That has ASU’s housing accommodations spread thin.
The students living in hotels will still have access to the same services that students have in the resident halls though, according to Newberg.
“They are going to be participating in all welcome week activities as well as resident hall activities,” she said. “We will provide staffing support and programming opportunities to the students who are living in temporary assignments.”
Newberg said the school will also be putting professional housing staff in the hotels alongside the students.
The downtown campus is not the only ASU campus dealing with overcrowding as Newberg said some students from the Tempe campus will also be placed in hotels temporarily.
Newberg was unable to provide the number of students who would be relocated from the Tempe campus.
The school expects to have all students out of hotels and into dorms by the start of the school year on Aug. 21.
“Circumstances change, there may be some students who decided not to move into the residential hall if they have an apartment off campus or something like that,” Newberg said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food