PHOENIX — With a record breaking numbers of students living in Arizona State University’s student housing, some will be waking up in hotel rooms rather than dorms at the start of this school year.
For a second straight year, the school’s downtown campus has been overbooked and students have been placed temporarily into hotels while the school makes arrangements.
“There are fewer than 30 students who are assigned to nearby hotels,” said ASU Spokeswoman Julie Newberg.
More than 13,500 new and returning students are moving into ASU dorms across the school’s four campuses, with 1,300 of those moving into Taylor Place, the downtown Phoenix resident hall, Newberg said. That has ASU’s housing accommodations spread thin.
The students living in hotels will still have access to the same services that students have in the resident halls though, according to Newberg.
“They are going to be participating in all welcome week activities as well as resident hall activities,” she said. “We will provide staffing support and programming opportunities to the students who are living in temporary assignments.”
Newberg said the school will also be putting professional housing staff in the hotels alongside the students.
The downtown campus is not the only ASU campus dealing with overcrowding as Newberg said some students from the Tempe campus will also be placed in hotels temporarily.
Newberg was unable to provide the number of students who would be relocated from the Tempe campus.
The school expects to have all students out of hotels and into dorms by the start of the school year on Aug. 21.
“Circumstances change, there may be some students who decided not to move into the residential hall if they have an apartment off campus or something like that,” Newberg said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns