Education has fallen behind immigration in the ongoing primary race, according to a Valley political expert.
The candidates view immigration as the red meat for now as they try to land the primary votes to move them down the road toward the governors office.
“Everybody in the Republican primary for governor has felt the need to look as mean and tough on the border as possible,” Stan Barnes said. “Democrat Fred DuVal has acknowledged there’s a problem but is focused more on other traditional campaign issues like the economy, jobs and education.”
Education isn’t viewed as sexy enough by the candidates even though it affects everyone who lives here.
“It always seems like the great unresolvable,” Barnes said. “It always ends up being that we need more money for state institutions, universities, colleges and K-12 schools.”
But if you poll people, education comes in behind immigration and the economy and jobs.
“Everybody wants to be on the ‘Yes I’m for education (bus) but the rubber meets the road when the budgets are done.”
While education has taken a backseat, it will be a major player in November’s general election.
“Immigration will perhaps be less of an issue and education will rise as more important of an issue.”
The Arizona primary is next Tuesday, Aug. 26.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night