Education has fallen behind immigration in the ongoing primary race, according to a Valley political expert.
The candidates view immigration as the red meat for now as they try to land the primary votes to move them down the road toward the governors office.
“Everybody in the Republican primary for governor has felt the need to look as mean and tough on the border as possible,” Stan Barnes said. “Democrat Fred DuVal has acknowledged there’s a problem but is focused more on other traditional campaign issues like the economy, jobs and education.”
Education isn’t viewed as sexy enough by the candidates even though it affects everyone who lives here.
“It always seems like the great unresolvable,” Barnes said. “It always ends up being that we need more money for state institutions, universities, colleges and K-12 schools.”
But if you poll people, education comes in behind immigration and the economy and jobs.
“Everybody wants to be on the ‘Yes I’m for education (bus) but the rubber meets the road when the budgets are done.”
While education has taken a backseat, it will be a major player in November’s general election.
“Immigration will perhaps be less of an issue and education will rise as more important of an issue.”
The Arizona primary is next Tuesday, Aug. 26.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy