Education has fallen behind immigration in the ongoing primary race, according to a Valley political expert.
The candidates view immigration as the red meat for now as they try to land the primary votes to move them down the road toward the governors office.
“Everybody in the Republican primary for governor has felt the need to look as mean and tough on the border as possible,” Stan Barnes said. “Democrat Fred DuVal has acknowledged there’s a problem but is focused more on other traditional campaign issues like the economy, jobs and education.”
Education isn’t viewed as sexy enough by the candidates even though it affects everyone who lives here.
“It always seems like the great unresolvable,” Barnes said. “It always ends up being that we need more money for state institutions, universities, colleges and K-12 schools.”
But if you poll people, education comes in behind immigration and the economy and jobs.
“Everybody wants to be on the ‘Yes I’m for education (bus) but the rubber meets the road when the budgets are done.”
While education has taken a backseat, it will be a major player in November’s general election.
“Immigration will perhaps be less of an issue and education will rise as more important of an issue.”
The Arizona primary is next Tuesday, Aug. 26.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development