Education has fallen behind immigration in the ongoing primary race, according to a Valley political expert.
The candidates view immigration as the red meat for now as they try to land the primary votes to move them down the road toward the governors office.
“Everybody in the Republican primary for governor has felt the need to look as mean and tough on the border as possible,” Stan Barnes said. “Democrat Fred DuVal has acknowledged there’s a problem but is focused more on other traditional campaign issues like the economy, jobs and education.”
Education isn’t viewed as sexy enough by the candidates even though it affects everyone who lives here.
“It always seems like the great unresolvable,” Barnes said. “It always ends up being that we need more money for state institutions, universities, colleges and K-12 schools.”
But if you poll people, education comes in behind immigration and the economy and jobs.
“Everybody wants to be on the ‘Yes I’m for education (bus) but the rubber meets the road when the budgets are done.”
While education has taken a backseat, it will be a major player in November’s general election.
“Immigration will perhaps be less of an issue and education will rise as more important of an issue.”
The Arizona primary is next Tuesday, Aug. 26.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier