PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area man was struck by lightning Saturday near a northern Arizona lake while fishing with his family, a sheriff’s office said.
The victim, a 41-year-old man from Queen Creek, Ariz., was using a metal-framed chair to cover his head when he was struck. The lightning bolt entered his body near his right shoulder and exited out his big toes.
He was taken to the Payson Regional Hospital and then the Maricopa Burn Center, where he is in good condition.
The victim’s name has not been released.
Officials said the incident should serve as a reminder that no place outside is safe during a thunderstorm. If a storm rolls in, officials said you should get inside a building with either plumbing or electricity or a metal-enclosed vehicle with the windows up.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas