PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area man was struck by lightning Saturday near a northern Arizona lake while fishing with his family, a sheriff’s office said.
The victim, a 41-year-old man from Queen Creek, Ariz., was using a metal-framed chair to cover his head when he was struck. The lightning bolt entered his body near his right shoulder and exited out his big toes.
He was taken to the Payson Regional Hospital and then the Maricopa Burn Center, where he is in good condition.
The victim’s name has not been released.
Officials said the incident should serve as a reminder that no place outside is safe during a thunderstorm. If a storm rolls in, officials said you should get inside a building with either plumbing or electricity or a metal-enclosed vehicle with the windows up.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon