PHOENIX — The Perseid meteor shower is coming to a close but Valley residents can still get a last glimpse at it with a hike in San Tan Valley on Friday night.
The San Tan Mountain Regional Park is hosting a hike starting at 8 p.m. that park ranger Tishia Stewart said will offer great views of the shower.
“We’ve got some beautiful nighttime skies here, very little light pollution,” she said.
Hikers will be taken on what Stewart called the Stargazer Loop, which runs about 2.2 miles and starts at the main trailhead.
Accompanying the views of the meteor shower, Stewart said astronomer Tony La Conte will lead the hike and guide people through the cosmos.
Starting at 6:30 p.m., La Conte will be teaching people to use sky maps to find their favorite constellations.
“He will be using his laser pointer to point out some constellations and we’re going to looking for the Perseids meteor shower as they streak on by,” Stewart said. “It’s going to be fantastic.”
Stewart said the hike is low-impact and anyone is welcome to join but said people should still come prepared.
“Bring a red flashlight instead of a white one because white light interferes with star gazing abilities,” she said. “Also, if park guests will wear closed-toed shoes and bring some water, that would be great.”
The entire trip around Stargazer Loop should take about an hour and half Stewart said, and people are welcome to bring their own chairs to sit and watch.
Those interested in joining the hike should meet at the flag pole by the visitor’s center at 6533 W. Phillips Road in Queen Creek.
The hike is free Stewart said, but there is a $6 per vehicle park entry fee.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food