PHOENIX — Heavy-duty equipment crews were on the job early Friday morning, trying to clean up storm damage and reopen the main road up South Mountain.
A powerful monsoon storm dropped almost four inches of rain on the mountain and brought down tons of rock and mud. Summit Road at South Mountain Park is closed at the one-mile mark past the ranger station. No bikes or cars are allowed.
Phoenix Park Ranger Sue Arbogast said they hope to be fully reopened this weekend, possibly even Friday, but not until the road is stabilized.
“We have so much of the road that has been eroded away underneath. The large equipment will backfill those areas. We don’t any cars on a surface that isn’t secure. All of our trails are open,” she said.
Arbogast has been at South Mountain for nine years and with the City of Phoenix for 25 years. She said the park has never been closed by this type of damage.
This wasn’t a typical storm, said state climatologist Nancy Selover.
“Normally when we have storms there’s runoff but we can take care of it with a small tractor. But with this storm we’ve been working for three days.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier