PHOENIX — Heavy-duty equipment crews were on the job early Friday morning, trying to clean up storm damage and reopen the main road up South Mountain.
A powerful monsoon storm dropped almost four inches of rain on the mountain and brought down tons of rock and mud. Summit Road at South Mountain Park is closed at the one-mile mark past the ranger station. No bikes or cars are allowed.
Phoenix Park Ranger Sue Arbogast said they hope to be fully reopened this weekend, possibly even Friday, but not until the road is stabilized.
“We have so much of the road that has been eroded away underneath. The large equipment will backfill those areas. We don’t any cars on a surface that isn’t secure. All of our trails are open,” she said.
Arbogast has been at South Mountain for nine years and with the City of Phoenix for 25 years. She said the park has never been closed by this type of damage.
This wasn’t a typical storm, said state climatologist Nancy Selover.
“Normally when we have storms there’s runoff but we can take care of it with a small tractor. But with this storm we’ve been working for three days.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life